Monday 1 March 2010

Tamiya Citroen 11CV

After my success with the rust effect on the troop carrier, I though i'd be a liitle more adventurous with my next project. I'm writing this as I go, so it may not turn out as planned, but we'll see!!
I wanted the Citroen Avant 11CV to be a version of those used by the Germans, and so would be predominantly grey. There will be lots of rust, and damage, and hopefully a door hanging off its hinges. Also, one of the headlights will be hanging by its wires. I did look half-heartedly for a 1/35 scale skeleton to replace the driver, but gave changed my mind!!
First thing to do was to assemble the floor pan and front suspension. Just 5 pieces (of a 50 piece kit), and the painted with Vallejo smoke grey. After drying, the rust was applied in various degrees, and then the exhaust was fitted. Painted originally in a Humbrol rust matt, and then treated with the Vallejo Pigments. The whole floor the got a mud wash (although it needs some more I think......I'll do it before the final assembly).

Next on the list was the bodywork. I created a few dents and gouges with my dremel drill thing, and then thinned a few areas underneath the wheel arches where the rust would typically form. Then drilled a series of small holes through the arch, and finally thinned them further from the front until they began to join together. This gave the correct 'tin-worm' look I was after. My idea was to have the original colour showing through the grey and the rust, so I primered the body in an aqua blue matt enamel. The thoery is that if I gently rub back after i've painted the body in grey, some of the blue will show through. Vallejo also have an acrylic in a similar shade, so I might use that if I need to.
The front wings are dry fitted for now, and the grill will be painted silver over grey to give an effect of the chrome showing through the old paintwork.
The doors and bumpers will be fitted before the weathering.

No comments:

Post a Comment